Friday 21 August 2009

Rochester to Herne Bay - 30 May 2009 - 39 Miles

This was the first serious attempt to complete one off my trips by Bike (see following post for details). I took the 0600 train from Birmingham International and arrived at Rochester still quire early in the morning.

From Rochester, a good track ran alongside the Thames for a few miles, past hulks of barges, reminders of London's great days as a major port. Minor road through the pretty villages of, Upchurchand Lower Halstow, took me to Sittingbourne, one of the least interesting towns I have visited.

Onwards, via lovely Conyer, Teynam Street and Davington to Faversham. Now, a town with a brewery at its heart cannot be bad. On arrival, I was beckoned in by the Shepherd Neame Brewery. Progressing further, O came across the delightful, well preserved Market Square.



This was followed by a stiff ride against the wind through Graveney to the sea at Graveney Marshes, then onwards to Whitstable. I have seen many photographs of Whitstable and was not disappointed with what I found there. There was a generally relaxed air among the holidaymakers and this is definitely on the list of places to revisit at leisure.

The wind was freshening from the east, so I cycled my way slowly through the lines of beach huts, listened to the band in the pier pavillion and ate a meal at the wetherspoon pub before progressing to the station and home.

Photographs of the trip

No comments:

Post a Comment