Saturday 3 January 2015

Llanrhystud to Aberaeron - 14 April 2014 - 8 miles on foot

I appear to be slipping into bad habits.  This is my first blog for some time, although I am still continuing to manage about one outing each month.  Thus chastened, I shall try to write up each blog soon after the journey and catch up on all the other trips I have not yet written about.

The early (0630) train from Smethwick Galton Bridge brought me into Aberystwyth on schedule at 0915.  The First number 40 bus departed from opposite the Railway Station and deposited me in Llanrhystud outside the Black Lion Inn at 1000, where I had completed a previous walk (details later).



I spent a few minutes exploring the narrow streets, whitewashed stone cottages and attractive church with a tower before moving on my way.  The weather was cool, but bright and occasionally sunny - perfect for walking.

I walked down the main street and along a narrow lane past sheep and lamb filled fields against a backdrop of gentle wooded hills.  Within 1 mile (1021), I arrived at the grey pebble and shingle beach backed by low cliffs that rose from the end of the lane.



My walk took me along the Wales Coast Path across fields, passing some abandoned stone-built lime kilns.  I soon reached the village of Llansantffraed.  This time, the equally attractive stone church with slate wall hangings had been built with a tower.  After some refreshment, I walked through the village of whitewashed stone cottages and into the neighboring twin village of Llanon  (2.5 miles - 1115).



Llanon, situated on the main road was noisier than and not so tidy as its neighbour.  Outside the village, there was a development of new houses.  To the credit of the developers, they were built in the local style with rendered walls painted in a variety of attractive colours.  The prices looked reasonable too!



Onwards along another lane to the seafront and the uninspiring Hotel Plas Morfa.  The path continued along low earth cliffs an over the occasional streams with stepping stones.  Ahead, the path rose over higher cliffs, but there was always the comforting view of Aberaeron ahead of me and New Quay in the distance.

A pleasant undulating walk and I was descending into the village of Aberarth (6 miles 1231).  The village had sparkling streams and multi-coloured cottage - a very pleasant place to live.



Moving forward, the coast path remained level and I soon reached the caravan site that marked the beginning of Aberaeron, my destination.  (8miles - 1317).  I spent some time rediscovering this town since my last visit in 2010.  Aberaeron is famous for its harbour and multi-coloured houses.



All too soon it was time to catch Richards X50 bus to Aberystwyth, a meal at the station (Wetherspoons) and the 1730 train back to Birmingham.  All in all, an excellent day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment