Friday, 1 January 2016

Bangor to Caernarfon - 7 October 2015 - 9 miles on foot

My journey to Bangor via Smethwick, Wolverhampton, Crewe and Chester was delayed by about half an hour at Chester through delays and cancellations on the Arriva Trains Wales service.

Eventually, I boarded a Virgin Trains service to Holyhead which deposited me in Bangor at 1228. The Virgin Trains sense of humour was evident from the notice attached to the toilet seat.

Virgin Trains!

The path from the station led upwards with views of the roofs of Bangor and on to the A5122 and the imposing stone structure of the Coleg Menai.

Coleg Menai

Walking along the road, I caught occasional glimpses of the Menai and Britannia Bridges above the rooftops and the trees, but was unable to gain an uninterupted view without deviating significantly from my route.

Menai and Britannia Bridges - almost

I continued along the main road, now the A487, to Capel-y-graig (1320 - 3 miles). Although there was a foot/cycle path along the road, the noise of the traffic made for uncomfortable albeit safe walking.

Disused railway

I was really pleased to reach the disused railway that once connected Bangor and Caernarfon.  This made for pleasant, traffic free walking with views of the Menai Strait.  The walking now seemed effortless and I soon arrived at Y Felinheli (1405 - 5 miles).

Y-Felinheli Harbour

This village was once a lime and slate port, but has now been transformed into an attractive marina. On leaving the village, I passed through an attractive residential development that incorporated a lime kiln chimney.

Lime Kiln chimney at the bottom of they garden

Onwards along the disused railway with lovely views to Anglesey and Castell-Gwylan (atractive but castle in name only).


The final part of walk was very easy and I soon found myself at Caernarfon Harbour (1520 - 9 miles). The harbour buildings had been tastefully modernised and the Castle looked over the comings and goings solidly and impassively.

Caernarfon Harbour

A short wait was required in the unspoiled shopping centre before I was taken back to Bangor by the number 5 bus.  I enjoyed a pie and a pint at the Black Bull before I boarded the 1718 train, arriving home withour delays before 2200.

1 comment: