Monday 30 January 2017

26 August 2015 - Mynydd Cilan to Llanengan - 3 Miles by foot

"It is a very long way to go for a 3 mile walk",  This is the only comment I have had from a family member about this walk.  My son was right, but logistics regarding the availability of public transport and the simple fact that the whole coast must be walked or cycled dictated the choice of route.  I could have stayed overnight, but the cost of the rail ticket at a little over £20 was much lower than a B&B.  In any case, I do like traveling by rail.

The railway by now was familiar.  Take the 0540 train to Smethwick Galton Bridge followed by the 0630 train to Machynlleth.  From there, it was the simple matter of taking the 0857 which arrived in Pwllheli at 1112.

Pwllheli Market

Arriving at Pwllheli, I found that the open air market was in full swing, so I spent a few minutes inspecting the stalls before catching the number 18 bus at 1205.  The bus took me on a brisk journey through Abersoch and many country lanes before depositing me at Mynydd Cilan, near the extremity of the Lleyn Peninsula.

I started my journey at 1240 under blue skies with a light wind and a pleasant walking temperature. The route took me along a lane to the hamlet of Pen-y-groes which turned out to be a single whitewashed cottage.
Pen-y-groes
Onwards now and a descent over fields appropriately called Greenland until after 1 mile (13:33) I reached the south eastern end of the very long beach called Porth Neigwl or "Hell's Mouth".  Despite the name, the surroundings were very attractive and the view swept around the bay to hills in the distance.
Porth Neigwl
Further along the beach I came across many surfers having fun in the waves that rolled in from the Irish Sea.  Myself, I like to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground.
Surfers at Porth Neigwl
It was time now to turn inland to Pentowyn - 2 miles (13:50), a collection of half a dozen houses.  The inland slopes are dominated by a high chimney which at one time ventilated the lead mine at Llanengan.
Ventilation chimney near Llanengan

I quickly reached Llanengan at 14:02, my destination, after an easy 3 miles stroll.  There was time to admire the village church before catching the 14:36 bus back to Pwllheli.
Llanengan Church
I had time for a meal at the Pen Cob in Pwllheli before taking the 15:37 train home after a satisfying day out.

2 comments: