Sunday 14 June 2015

Mynydd Cilan to Abersoch - 5 miles on foot

Tuesday 26 May 2015

As usual with a one day walk in Wales, I took the early train, arriving at Pwllheli at 1205 and took the 18 bus to Mynydd Cilan towards the south west end of  the Lleyn Peninsula.  I arrived at just after 1300 and began my walk, initially through the village of Nant-y-Big (1315) and onwards to the coast path.

Converted chapel at Mynedd Cilan

The day was pleasant, but cloudy with a slight breeze - ideal for walking, really.  The way sloped downwards to the broad sandy beach as I walked accompanied by a number of families with small children equipped with appropriate tools for building sandcastles.

Porth Ceiriad Beach

Soon our routes parted and I continued up the slope where I had excellent views of the beach below and the cliffs ahead towards the headland at Trwyn yr Wylfa (1330).  The undulating path took me past the islands of St Tudwals, where I was delighted to see several dolphins swimming and occasionally leaping out of the water.  These creatures were pursued by groups of tourists in small boats trying to capture the show with there cameras.  I believe my vantage point was both better for viewing and kinder to the dolphins.

St Tudwals Islands

Gorse bushes and Snowdonia

I continued along the coast path past bright orange gorse bushes to the village of Machroes (1420) which boasted several white painted stone cottages and an old boathouse tucked in between the sand and the cliff.  By now, the weather had warmed up and there was some sun.  This appears to have brought out the holidaymakers who were either lazing or cavorting along the stretch of sand all the way to Abersoch (1440).

Machroes boathouse

I had a little time before my bus was due to arrive, so had my usual fish and chips followed by a cornet of local icecream.  It was then time to make my way back to Pwllheli and the train home.

1 comment:

  1. A nice stretch of coastline here making a worthwhile walk....

    ReplyDelete